Uhuru to address Kenyans after latest massacre

December 2, 2014 9:57 am
Shares

,

A State House official told Capital FM News that the press conference would be held at State House at 3pm/FILE
A State House official told Capital FM News that the press conference would be held at State House at 3pm/FILE
NAIROBI, Kenya, Dec 2 – President Uhuru Kenyatta was set to address the nation Tuesday afternoon over the latest attack at a quarry in Mandera which left 36 people dead.

A State House official told Capital FM News that the press conference would be held at State House.

The address follows a statement issued earlier by State House Spokesman Manoah Esipisu expressing sympathy for families of the 36 quarry workers killed in the dawn attack, barely hours after another attack in Wajir left one person dead and scores injured.

“The Government sends messages of condolences to the families of those who have lost their dear ones and stands by them during this difficult time,” Esipisu said, adding: “Investigations are underway in regard to both incidents.”

READ 36 people killed in another Mandera attack

There has been no word from police headquarters or the Interior Ministry where top security chiefs were said to be holed up in a crisis meeting following the attack by Al Shabaab which claimed responsibility and vowed more attacks on Kenyan soil.

READ Somalia’s Shabaab claim latest Kenya massacre, vow more attacks

The attack occurred in Koromey area about 15 kilometres from Mandera town where armed militants attacked quarry workers who were sleeping in tents.

Reports indicate that non-Muslims were spared in the attack that occurred in a similar version to last week’s bus attack in the same region that left 28 people dead.

Those killed were made to lie down in two rows before they were sprayed with bullets on their heads.

Shares

Latest Articles

Most Viewed