Ruto, Sang toast to Uhuru as he promises them support

December 5, 2014 3:19 pm
Shares

,

Moments after receiving the historic news, Ruto sent a congratulatory message to President Kenyatta on Twitter/FILE
Moments after receiving the historic news, Ruto sent a congratulatory message to President Kenyatta on Twitter/FILE
NAIROBI, Kenya, Dec 5 – Deputy President William Ruto and Journalist Joshua arap Sang on Friday toasted to the decision by the International Criminal Court Prosecutor to withdraw charges against President Uhuru Kenyatta.

Moments after receiving the historic news, Ruto sent a congratulatory message to President Kenyatta on Twitter.

“Congratulations @UKenyatta on the termination of your case by the ICC. The truth has set you free,” Ruto wrote.

Sang who was at the ICC attending his trial posted on his Facebook account that the president had called him and wished him well.

“Oh my, My President H.E Uhuru Kenyatta has just called me to assure me of his support on our case with Deputy President William Ruto. He said; “ONE DOWN TWO TO GO”,” Sang wrote.

“Congratulations Mr. President. You are free, we are free too. That is a good gesture Mr. President to your citizen. God will never forsake Kenya,” he said.

On receiving the news, President Kenyatta said he was happy that his innocence had finally been proven.

“I am excited by this news, which I have awaited ever since the day my name was announced to the world in connection with the case. I am also deeply relieved by this decision, which is overdue by six years,” he said.

According to President Kenyatta, the prosecution has decided to compromise the quest for justice in favour of political considerations.

He expressed concerns over the manner in which the prosecution kept on dragging his case with continued requests of postponement and requests to gather more evidence.

“For the Prosecutor to sustain an obviously deficient case for so long demonstrates beyond doubt the intensity of pressure exerted by improper interests to pollute and undermine the philosophy of international justice,” he observed.

The president also expressed concerns over the ICC’s position that it was giving justice to the victims of the Post Election Violence yet it was guided by other ulterior motives and interests.

“There is no justice when human rights clubs and an international tribunal conspire to betray victims of human rights abuses and persecute the innocent. The tragedy of this travesty is beyond words,” President Kenyatta said.

The president also believed that Ruto and Sang had been wrongfully targeted by the ICC and that soon they would also be cleared.

He pledged that he will support them during their case which is at the trial stage.

“My brother and deputy, Hon. William Ruto, as well as Mr Joshua Sang continue to face their accusers at the ICC with a clear conscience. With me, they have been steadfast in declaring their innocence. I am confident that they will be vindicated in due course,” he said.

He said the ICC cases were a major impediment to the work of the Jubilee administration.

“As my deputy and principal assistant, William Ruto is an indispensable asset in my Government. I look forward to the day when we shall not have the distraction of the trials, so that we can continue delivering our transformational agenda to the people of Kenya,” he said.

Shares

Latest Articles

Most Viewed