, NAIROBI, Kenya, Dec 1 – The High Court has lifted the suspension of Nazigi Sacco’s licence.
Nazigi Sacco moved to court on Monday to challenge the suspension of their licence over the stripping of a woman in one of their Public Service Vehicles.
The sacco through lawyer Harrison Kinyanjui told the court that over 1,000 matatu drivers and touts had been rendered jobless by the suspension of their licence by the National Transport and Safety Authority (NTSA) last Friday.
A decision they say was unfair as it punished a thousand for the role one matatu driver and tout allegedly involved in the stripping of the woman in Githurai.
A matatu driver and tout, they argued, who were already being held to account for their crimes having been arraigned in court on Friday.
They therefore applied for the court to restrain the traffic police from impounding their vehicles as directed by the NTSA and compel them to release those already in their custody.
On Friday, NTSA Director General Francis Meja directed the traffic commandant to impound any Nazigi Sacco bus found operating.
He then gave Nazigi a fortnight to present all 243 of the vehicles registered under them for inspection and to submit a preliminary report on the stripping incident before they could return to operations.
A position Transport Cabinet Secretary Eng. Michael Kamau endorsed on Monday.
“Henceforth it will be the saccos or the company that will apply to the NTSA for the conductor and driver badges. This will mean that saccos should be in a position to vouch for their crew and take full responsibility for their actions,” he said.