, NAIROBI, Kenya, Dec 22 – The Nairobi County Government says it is not to blame for collapse of the 4-storey building in Makongeni last week which claimed seven lives.
Speaking to reporters, Environment Executive Evans Ondieki stated that City Hall did not approve any building plans and any structure put up in the area was illegal.
He emphasized the need for people not to criticize the County Government saying that it has accomplished a lot.
“We have to do a scientific audit to test the integrity of those structures and if they are found that they do not meet the required standards, then the natural process will take effect. So what we are saying that politicians should not use this situation to weigh in on the Nairobi County Government without necessarily looking at what we have done,” he said.
Ondieki further pointed out that the county government will continue supporting all those affected by the tragedy.
“The county is going to give a universal support to all the families that were affected. Those who lost their loved ones and those who have people in the hospital will also be supported. The process has begun and we hope that it will happen as soon as possible,” he stated.
Nairobi Governor Evans Kidero ordered a probe into the circumstances that led to the collapse of the building in Makongeni .
In a statement, the Governor indicated that the investigations should establish the approval process of the building structure and the land ownership of where it was situated.
The County Chief further stated that the probe report should also make appropriate recommendations, on the measures to be taken including criminal proceedings on past and present officers, responsible for approving the building of the structure.
Experts have blamed the collapse on inadequate construction material ratios, incompetent design and poor workmanships as the major causes to the death knells all which are supposed to be monitored by the county technocrats for compliance.
Nairobi City County Regularisation of Developments Bill was however only read once at the Assembly and lapsed after it went on recess before dealing with it.
If the law had come into force, all buildings constructed on road reserves, railway reserves and river beds would have been demolished in the coming one year.
The law was also targeting buildings on public land, and buildings that do not meet the standards approved by the county.
All property owners who built houses without first seeking approval from the former City Council would have six months within which to regularize their status or risk their buildings demolished.
According to City hall only 40 percent of buildings meet the required standards.