, TRANS-NZOIA, Kenya Dec 27 – Tension ran high on Saturday after six people were killed following an attempt to evict squatters from Mengo Farm in Trans-Nzoia County.
The six were among a group of 40 who had been hired to evict the squatters from the parcel of land which has been marred in ownership wrangles.
Trans-Nzoia County Commissioner Stephen Ikua confirmed that four youths were in police custody in connection with the incident which also left seven homesteads razed to the ground.
“The incident happened this morning (Saturday) at around 5 a.m. when one of the groups that claimed to have an eviction order invaded the farm and started torching the houses. The other group contends that that matter is still in court, but we have intensified patrols in the area to quell the volatile situation,” he said.
He said the youths were ferried from Kitale which is about 30 kilometres away from the 706-acre farm.
Leaders from the region including Bungoma County Senator Moses Wetang’ula, Kakamega County Senator Boni Khalwale, Saboti MP David Wafula and County Woman Representative Janet Nagabo visited the area and condemned the attack .
Police have been deployed in the area to beef up security.