, UNITED NATIONS, Nov 23 – UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has condemned the terrorist attack on a commuter bus in northern Kenya that left at least 28 people dead, hoping that “those responsible for today’s attack will be brought to justice swiftly.”
“The Secretary-General condemns the terrorist attack on a commuter bus in Mandera, Kenya,” said a statement issued by Ban’s spokesman Saturday night.
“The Secretary-General pledges the continuing support of the United Nations to Kenya and the countries of the region in their multi-dimensional efforts to address the scourge of terrorism,” the statement said.
Meanwhile, Ban also conveyed “his profound condolences to the families of the victims and expresses his solidarity with the people and the government of Kenya,” the statement added.
Suspected Al-Shabaab militants attacked the bus early Saturday.
The bus was travelling to the capital, Nairobi, when it was stopped in Mandera County, not far from the Somali border.
A statement on a website linked to the Islamist group said that the Saturday attack was staged in retaliation for security raids on mosques in Kenya’s coastal city of Mombasa earlier this week, reports said.
Since Kenya sent troops across the border into Somalia in 2011, northern and parts of eastern Kenya have been hit by a series of blasts, with many targeting local security forces and humanitarian workers.