, NAIROBI, Kenya, Nov 24 – Opposition leader Raila Odinga wants top security chiefs to resign, accusing them of failing to protect Kenyans in the wake of the Mandera attack that killed 28 people.
Odinga who spoke at the Chiromo mortuary where he went to console affected families accused the government of casually handling security matters, leading to increased attacks.
“We want to hear more than empty words from the government; we have asked them to remove people who are incapable of providing security in the county and to carry out a comprehensive reform of the security agencies in this country – look at our security interests once again, look at the challenge being posed by Al Shabaab from Somalia so that we action which is in the best national interest,” he said.
He added that killing 100 Al Shabaab militants after an attack in the country was not enough, and wants more measures to guarantee internal security.
“The intelligence information is available that people were supposed to take action but no action was taken, the governor of Mandera did pass information to our security agencies – the government reaction is equally disappointing to say the least – that we have followed these terrorists and we have killed one hundred of them, where is the evidence? ” Raila posed.
“We want to tell the Deputy President that the time for theatrics has ended,” he added.
Odinga was reacting to statements by Deputy President William Ruto on Sunday that over 100 Al Shabaab militants and sympathisers had been killed in two operations inside Somalia by the Kenya Defence Forces.
“Those who perpetuated these acts of criminality on 28 Kenyans, they too did not live to celebrate the crime they had committed. Going forward we are going to make sure that incidents like this are in the future avoided,” Ruto said.
The opposition chief together with other leaders including Kakamega Governor Wycliffe Opraranya, Senator Boni Khalwale and other legislators from Western region were at the Chiromo Mortuary where they had visited to console the bereaved families.
The all called for an overhaul of the security docket saying those currently in office had failed the country.
“If I was the interior Cabinet Secretary, I would resign, it does not make any sense for one to be referred to as the man in charge of the interior docket yet people are dying across the country,” said Benjamin Washiali, Mumias East MP.
At the same time, the Kakamega County Government took the chance to announce that it would cater for the funeral expenses of its eight constituents.
Oparanya said all bodies would be ferried to Kakamega on Wednesday for a memorial service to be held on Thursday at the Bukhungu stadium before families can pick their individual family members to bury them at their respective homes.