, NAIROBI, Kenya, Nov 4 – The National Police Service Commission says it is yet to decide what course of action to take after last week’s nullification of the nationwide police recruitment by the High Court.
NPSC chairman Johnston Kavuludi says they are still analysing the court ruling, to weigh the options of appealing or heeding the order to repeat the exercise to hire 10,000 officers to join the National Police Service.
Kavuludi made the remarks when he met more than 30 representatives of the recruits across the country, who spoke of the mental torture and inconveniences they are likely to undergo if the entire exercise is repeated.
Kavuludi however urged them to remain optimistic amid claims that two recruits committed suicide after the ruling.
“Continue to be calm, be prayerful, be patient and keep your ears on the ground. You will be informed on the decision of the commission,” he stated.
Those who spoke to journalists painted a picture of desperation as some have grown past the age limit or they had resigned from their previous occupations hoping to serve the country as police officers.
“We have sold all our belongings to buy the things they had asked for; police shoes, mattresses…are we going to compete again with people who are well to do?” one of the recruits posed.
Another added, “We were eagerly waiting for the reporting date but unfortunately it was not to happen.”
The group spokesman Jairus Nyamosi a recruit from Kisii however said: “We are optimistic the exercise will not be repeated…we are many youths who are willing to serve this country.”
“Just look at the security situation of our country…we are willing to serve the country.”
Kavuludi however had consoling words for them.
“Don’t commit suicide please…do not commit suicide because God will not welcome you on the other side of life because you have ended your life prematurely,” he appealed.
“Think positively; don’t allow some things to weigh you down, there are bigger things for you, one of you may be the chairperson of the police commission in future.”
The commission used Sh87 million to carry out the July exercise that was reported to have been marred by irregularities.
The High Court last Friday nullified the entire recruitment of 10,000 police officers carried out on July 14, citing massive irregularities.
Justice Isaac Lenaola subsequently directed the National Police Service Commission to conduct a repeat exercise.
He ordered the commission not to issue any appointment letters from the previous result, which he ruled was marred by massive graft and nepotism allegations.
The judge said the commission violated the Constitution by delegating the duty to a non-entity at the county level.
He ruled that the commission not only failed itself but the country, Constitution, recruits and the public as a whole.
The National Police Service Commission had earlier nullified the recruitment exercise in some centres, whose affected candidates filed cases in court challenging the decision.
The case leading to the entire nullification was filed by the Independent Policing Oversight Authority chairman Macharia Njeru.
Kavuludi said they were not in supremacy battles with IPOA saying they will continue delivering their services as per the constitution.
On August 12, the commission after investigations nullified results of 36 centres countrywide following numerous irregularities.
The audit that was carried by a multi agency group reviewed 621 complaints received from various centres.
The cancellation affected 1,215 candidates who were hired irregularly. There were 289 recruiting centres across the country.