Ngilu takes on CORD over Karen land grab claims

October 18, 2014 6:43 am
Shares

,

Police officers were on Friday deployed to the disputed land where they evicted developers pending the determination of a case in court/CFM NEWS
Police officers were on Friday deployed to the disputed land where they evicted developers pending the determination of a case in court/CFM NEWS
NAIROBI, Kenya, Oct 18 – Lands Cabinet Secretary Charity Ngilu now says the statement issued by CORD leaders naming individuals they claim grabbed the disputed 134-acre Karen land is only aimed at distracting the government from investigating similar cases in other parts of the country.

Ngilu said the sensational claims made by CORD leaders who named top officials as beneficiaries of the Sh8 billion land are out to block investigations on dubious land transactions in Machakos, Kwale and Lamu.

“It is clear this was a political statement of people who are burdened by land transactions that they have carried out in the recent past,” Ngilu said of the claims made over the prime land which is a subject of a legal tussle pitting businessman Da Gama Rose a firm associated with former NSSF Managing Trustee Jos Konzolo.

“It is a political statement that is not backed by any facts,” Ngilu said.

Addressing journalists on Friday, Ngilu challenged the Opposition to present the evidence linking the senior government officials over the controversial Karen land to relevant investigation agencies.

She revealed that she had already written to the chairman of Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission (EACC) Mumo Matemu and CID director Ndegwa Muhoro asking them to conduct investigations.

Ngilu said all those who were mentioned had already denied the allegations.

Meanwhile, police officers were on Friday deployed to the disputed land where they evicted developers pending the determination of a case in court.

The police officers in four trucks were sent to the disputed land on Friday afternoon to enforce a court order.

Langata deputy police Chief Mwangi Kuria says the land will be manned on a 24-hour basis until the case in court is determined.

“The order says I should remove everybody who was conducting any construction here and I have done so,” he affirmed. “I have warned them not to come back until the case is heard and decided before court.”

He said he had “deployed officers to take guard on a 24-hour basis.”

Businessman Da Gama Rose is laying claim to the land. His lawyer Cecil Miller has obtained orders blocking further development of the land but the occupiers have previously disregarded the directive of the court to keep off the land.

The High Court on Monday directed the officer commanding Langata police division to enforce the court order barring any activity on the disputed land.

The court had on September 3 directed that any development or transactions on the land be halted until the petition filed by Da Gama Rose is heard and determined.

The Ministry of Lands, through their legal representative, however accused Da Gama Rose of engaging in “sideshows” and insisted that the matter proceed to a full hearing.

The Ministry through Deputy Chief Lands Registrar Geoffrey Swanya Birundu has identified Telesource as the registered owner of the land.

The National Land Commission, in a letter dated May 10, 2013, however identified Da Gama Rose as the rightful owner of the property.

Da Gama Rose claims to have purchased the land through his company Muchanga Investments Limited in 1982 at Sh1.2 million from Arnold Bradley.

Telesource on the other hand is said to have purchased the land from a John Kamau Mugo in 2005. Mugo has been enjoined in the suit and is expected to give testimony on how he acquired the land.

Shares

Latest Articles

Most Viewed