, NAIROBI, Kenya, Oct 3- A Kwale court on Friday rejected an application to have the man who caned former Prime Minister Raila Odinga and Kwale Governor Salim Mvurya released on bond.
Kwale Resident Magistrate Christine Njagi says the man cannot be released on bond since he pleaded guilty to the three charges he’s facing.
“The accused had already pleaded guilty and was thus to await the production of documents before sentencing; therefore bail terms are not applicable,” she ruled.
The three counts are assaulting Odinga and Mvurya and causing public disturbance.
The court will make its ruling on Tuesday next week.
State Counsel Alexandar Muteti told the court that the office of Director of Public Prosecution was concerned over the rising incidents of political intolerance being witnessed across the country.
Muteti said DPP Keriako Tobiko has requested for the file of the accused to give direction on the matter.
Addressing Journalists at the Kwale law Courts, the accused Lengo Mdzomba claimed that he was provoked by calls for referendum led by CORD under Okoa Kenya initiative to attack the two.
“They have been calling for so many meetings, how many time will Kenya be saved?” he posed.
He says the country was freed when the founding father Mzee Jomo Kenyatta led the country to its liberation from colonial powers.
“The president is yet to finish even three years. He doesn’t have even time to plan his Government because of these meetings,” he argued.
“I never knew how I attacked them, I was overwhelmed and I just remember being told to go home.”
Mdzomba, who is 40 years old, stormed the meeting and attacked Odinga and Mvurya, raising questions over their security.
The man walked towards the former premier and started attacking him using a walking stick as the leaders were dancing at the podium.
The man managed to hit both Odinga and Mvurya with a stick before he was subdued and whisked away by bodyguards.