, MACHAKOS, Kenya Oct 25 – A middle aged man has died after being electrocuted while working on a cable line in Syokimau.
According to Kenya Power Distribution and Customer Service Emergency Service (North Region) Cyrus Njenga the deceased who was an employee of a cable and Internet company was working on a cable crossing part of the power line shrivelled up after coming in contact with a high voltage line.
“We received a call this morning at around 10.30am, from a good Samaritan reporting that a man had been electrocuted. We dispatched a team there and they found the man hang on a pole top who was electrocuted as he was working on this network cables system and he didn’t take the safety precautions and he came in to contact with the line touching the transformer,” he told Capital FM News at the scene.
He said the man never regained consciousness after the deadly shock and was died on the spot.
Kenya Power had to turn off several circuits to get the situation under control, leaving several customers without power.
Njenga called on the private company maintenance crews to request the services of the Kenya Power whenever they work near power installations.
“I would like to urge anybody working or given the contract to work for this network system companies that they should take safety precautions first. I urge them to call us when they are doing connections, we can provide them with technical staff to do isolation whenever they are going to do their connections but doing it on their own I find it very risky,” Njenga said.
The incident has been reported to the police for investigation.