ICC witness in Ruto case to testify via video link

September 1, 2014 8:02 am
Shares

,

Victims Legal Representative in the case against Ruto and Sang, Wilfred Nderitu will not be in court but will follow proceedings from Nairobi/FILE
Victims Legal Representative in the case against Ruto and Sang, Wilfred Nderitu will not be in court but will follow proceedings from Nairobi/FILE
NAIROBI, Kenya, Sep 1 – Deputy President William Ruto and former broadcaster Joshua arap Sang are at The Hague to attend resumption of their trial.

Ruto who arrived at The Hague on Monday morning is expected to be there for five days following the court’s recess.

He was allowed to skip sessions of his trial but ordered to be present in court for the first five days after recess, among eight other conditions.

Victims Legal Representative in the case against Ruto and Sang, Wilfred Nderitu, will not be in court but will follow proceedings from Nairobi.

This was after the court allowed for evidence to be given via video link from an undisclosed location in Nairobi.

According to sources, the 22nd prosecution witness who is a victim is expected to give evidence once the trial begins.

It will be the first video link since the trial against Ruto and Sang began on September 10 last year.

It was unclear how many witnesses will give their evidence in the session that began on Monday due to pending court decisions.

After the session that ended on July 16, trial lawyer Anton Steynberg informed the court that the prosecution may present two other witnesses based on the decision of the trial chamber.

He further told the court that the prosecution was waiting for the decision of the Appeals Chamber if seven other witnesses would testify in Kenya Case 1.

The remaining nine witness could mark the end of the prosecution’s case paving way for the second phase of the case in which the Ruto and Sang teams will now be given time to present their defence.

If none of the defence teams will file a motion of no-case-to-answer, the teams will then start giving evidence to counter allegations made by the prosecution against Ruto and Sang.

The trial against Ruto and Sang has suffered serious inconsistencies due to withdrawal of witnesses.

In other instances, witnesses have refused to show up while others have admitted having lied to the court.

Whereas the defence teams of Ruto and Sang have expressed their dismay over the inconsistencies, the prosecution has claimed that witnesses have been intimidated and bribed to recant their evidence.

Former Prosecutor Luis Moreno Ocampo was allowed to investigate the 2008 Post Election Violence in Kenya on 31 January, 2010.

Ruto and Sang who are facing charges of murder, deportation or transfer of population and persecution in Rift Valley are accused of forming a network which with a joint common plan to attack and drive out the Party of National Unity – mainly Kikuyus – out of Rift Valley.

Ruto is alleged to have financed the attacks and Sang is said to have used his show at Kass FM to popularise plans of the network to attack and evict Kikuyus.

So far, 21 witnesses have given evidence in a bid to support the prosecution’s allegations.

Shares

Latest Articles

Most Viewed