, NAIROBI, Kenya, Sept 10 – The High Court in Mombasa has terminated charges against the Lamu Governor after the prosecution failed to firm up its case in which Issa Timamy was accused of involvement in the Mpeketoni killings.
In his ruling, Justice Martin Muya ruled that it was impossible to grant the prosecution open-ended time to probe Timamy since they (prosecution) already had sufficient time to investigate and prepare its case.
“This is a great day for justice, I am very happy that the court ruled the way it did today; I want to again reassure Kenyans that I had nothing to do with the Mpeketoni attacks. There is no way that I will go and attack my own people… I believe this was more to do with the local politics there than anything else that my arrest was effected,” said an elated Timamy after the court ruling.
Last week, the Assistant Director of Public Prosecutions Alexander Muteti had requested for more time to conduct investigations.
Justice Muya also ordered the discharge of Timamy’s Sh5 million bail deposited when he was arrested and charged.
Timamy who addressed journalists soon after the High Court ruling said police had wasted a lot of his time which he could used to serve his people.
“I had nothing, I repeat again, I had nothing to do with this attack, I have been tied up in endless cases, this is one, I have another one next week. So, instead of I being allowed time to go and work for my people, I am being kept busy in court cases, one after another.”
Timamy was facing charges following the Mpeketoni attacks which cost the lives of over 100 Kenyans and led to the displacement of others.