, ADDIS ABABA, Aug 1 – South Sudan’s warring leaders will resume peace talks next week, mediators said Friday, amid warnings of famine within weeks if fighting continues.
Much delayed talks, which were initially due to start this week, will resume on Monday, mediators from the East African IGAD bloc said in statement.
Aid agencies have warned of famine within weeks if fighting continues.
IGAD said the resumption of talks had been delayed by “extended holidays”.
Peace talks between President Salva Kiir and his former deputy Riek Machar stalled in June with each side blaming the other for the failure.
Thousands of people have been killed and over 1.5 million have fled more than seven months of fighting between government troops, mutinous soldiers and ragtag militia forces divided by tribe.
Previous rounds of talks, held in luxury hotels in Addis Ababa, have already cost at least $17 million (12 million euros) but have yielded little progress, with three ceasefire deals broken.