Sonko pursues liability clause against CORD leaders

July 7, 2014 2:16 pm
Shares

,

Sonko argued that someone needed to be held accountable for any violence and damage to property/CFM NEWS
Sonko argued that someone needed to be held accountable for any violence and damage to property/CFM NEWS
NAIROBI, Kenya, July 7 – Nairobi County Senator Mike Sonko has moved to Court of Appeal to challenge the High Court order that suspended liability on the part of CORD leaders for any chaos during Monday’s Saba Saba rally.

The temporary reprieve by Justice Isaac Lenaola to Raila Odinga, Kalonzo Musyoka and Moses Wetangula was to remain in force for the next 24 hours.

Sonko argued that someone needed to be held accountable for any violence and damage to property.

“What we are appealing against is the order against responsibility. Article 96 of our Constitution says that the Senate has the responsibility of representing and protecting the interests of all the people in the county at any level.”

“This is not a Jubilee rally… it’s a CORD rally and in case of any violence and destruction of property we want somebody to be responsible, today is not a public holiday, it’s a working day,” he said.

He however said he was happy that the judge maintained that there would be no calls for mass action.

“We give our compliments to the High Court for upholding the no mass action order which is still in force,” he said.

The High Court on Monday lifted the order requiring CORD leaders to take personal liability for any chaos during Monday’s Saba Saba rally.

Last week, CORD agreed to abide by Lenaola’s order against mass action and taking personal liability for any violence and damage to property, but its lawyers were back in court on Monday seeking a reversal of the directive.

Sonko’s appeal had not been heard by the time of publishing this story.

Shares

Latest Articles

Most Viewed