, NAIROBI, Kenya, Jun 17 – UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-Moon has condemned Sunday night’s attack in Mpeketoni where at least 48 people were killed while reiterating the need for those responsible to be brought to book.
While expressing his condolences to the families affected, Ban reiterated the United Nations’ solidarity with the government in the fight against terrorism.
“The Secretary-General condemns in the strongest terms the attacks on 15 June 2014 in Mpeketoni, Kenya, which reportedly killed at least 48 people and wounded many more. The Secretary-General extends his condolences to the families of the deceased and the Government of Kenya and wishes the wounded a swift recovery,” a statement from the UN office stated.
He further emphasised the need for the government to carry out thorough investigations into the incident while at the same time respecting human rights.
The attack occurred when eight gunmen hijacked two vans at Witu and commandeered the driver to Mpeketoni where they opened fire indiscriminately at anyone they came across.
It is believed they were joined by their accomplices who were already in the town because witnesses said they saw more than 50 attackers.
Following the incident, there was an exchange of words between Jubilee and CORD legislators as they traded accusations over the attacks with the Government side indicating that the activities of the Opposition were to blame for insecurity, a claim which was dismissed.
It is believed the attackers were joined by their accomplices who were already in the town because witnesses said they saw more than 50 attackers.
Areas affected were Mpeketoni Police station, two hotels, a bank and a fuel station-with some facilities burnt down.
A police officer quoting witnesses said some of the gunmen were speaking in Somali as they moved from shop to shop and house to house shooting people.
Kenya has suffered a series of terror attacks since 2011 when the government deployed its military to pursue Al Shabaab militants inside Somalia.
In recent weeks, there have been heightened threats from the militant group, leading to several travel advisories from European countries.
The United Kingdom had earlier closed its consulate in Mombasa for fear of attacks.
The UK was among the first European nations to issue a travel advisory to its citizens, leading to the evacuation tourists from the coastal city by tour operators, for fear of attacks.
The Kenyan government has advocated against such advisories, and instead urged the concerned nations to work closely with security agencies in mitigating terror threats.
To ensure the security has been enhanced, the government has made massive allocations to improve security in the 2014-15 financial year.