, NAIROBI, Kenya, Jun 16 – President Uhuru Kenyatta and his Deputy William Ruto are currently holding a crisis meeting with the country’s top security chiefs at State House, Nairobi following the Mpeketoni terrorist attack that has so far claimed 48 lives.
The DP cut short his visit to Turkana and rushed to President Kenyatta’s side to help manage the crisis, which is the second largest terror attack since the Westgate mall siege.
Staff at Deputy President Ruto’s office said that had been expected to launch irrigation works in Turkana the entire day Monday, in a visit that began on Saturday with attendance at a cultural festival.
The country’s security chiefs had earlier been holed up in a meeting at Harambee House before heading to State House.
Leaders from across the political divide condemned Sunday night’s attack, with CORD leader Raila Odinga sending his condolences.
Amani Coalition’s Musalia Mudavadi also mourned victims of Sunday night’s massacre and advised President Kenyatta to appoint an independent commission of inquiry to probe operations of security structures with the sole objective of recommending an overhaul.
“The “Bloody Sunday” slaughter, whether by local or foreign elements, is an invasion of our country. As we mourn the dead and condemn laxity in security organs, we must be aware that terrorism is meant to spread fear, division, blame and disaffection. I therefore appeal to for caution in this crisis and not give the masterminds their pound of flesh,” he said.
“After Westgate murder and a proliferation of sporadic IED deaths, Kenyans gave government the benefit of doubt on efforts to secure the country. But the Mpeketoni incursion confirms that decisive action is urgent to correct our security apparatus that is ailing and horridly malfunctioning.”
READ MORE Kenya – increasing tension