, NAIROBI, Kenya, Jun 18 – Deputy President William Ruto has warned politicians involved in inciting communities leading to the Mpeketoni attacks to prepare to face the law once investigations are completed.
The Deputy President who spoke at a press conference at his Karen office said no individual including politicians will be spared if they are found to be culpable.
“Investigations are almost complete, and I can assure you that no one will be spared. No one will be spared, even politicians.”
The Deputy President who met Somalia Prime Minister Abdiweli Sheikh Ahmed said Kenya will develop a plan where security agencies of both countries can share crucial security information.
He said the country will also open an embassy in Mogadishu soon to enhance social and economical ties of the two countries.
Despite demands by the Coalition for Reforms and Democracy, he said Kenya Defence Forces will remain in Somalia until the country was stable.
“As a responsible neighbour we shall continue to support Somalia,” he stated.
Ruto also said more government officials will be sacked and prosecuted for failing to discharge their duties.
President Uhuru Kenyatta has already announced the sacking of senior police and county commanders who failed to act on intelligence reports that warned of the impending attacks that left over 60 people dead.
The President on Tuesday said authorities in Lamu were notified of impending politically motivated attacks but failed to act.
He said those who did not heed intelligence warnings had been suspended and would face charges in court.
“It is now clear that intelligence on this attack was availed to the security officers in Mpeketoni. Unfortunately, the officers did not act accordingly. This negligence and abdication of duty and responsibility is unacceptable. Accordingly, all concerned officers have been suspended and will be charged immediately in a court of law,” President Kenyatta said.
He warned that the government will take action against any other officers who fail to perform their duties, as they abet commission of crimes in the country.
President Kenyatta remained categorical that the Al Shabaab was not involved in the killings, but that a politically instigated network was responsible.
“The attack in Lamu was well planned, orchestrated, and politically motivated ethnic violence against a Kenyan community, with the intention of profiling and evicting them for political reasons. This therefore, was not an Al Shabaab terrorist attack,” he said.
Interior Cabinet Secretary Joseph ole Lenku who is under pressure to resign over the attacks insists he will not quit.