NAIROBI, Kenya, Jun 18 – Raila Odinga says Coalition for Reforms and Democracy (CORD) political rallies will continue as planned until the Government agrees to calls for national dialogue calls.
Odinga said the Sunday attack in Mpeketoni was one of the reason why there should be national dialogue to address security issues among other key problems the country is facing.
“CORD condemns the massacres in Mpeketoni and states categorically that violence is not a means of achieving legitimate political aims or objectives,” he pointed out.
While addressing journalists on Wednesday, he however distanced the coalition from the attacks, saying thorough investigation should be done and those found culpable arrested and prosecuted in a court of law.
“Nobody is the above the law. No Kenyan other than the President enjoys immunity from criminal prosecution,” he said.
“The law should take its course and nobody should be spared in the hunt for and prosecution of criminal gangs and terrorists who have compromised the safety and peace in the republic.”
He said it was wrong for the Government to maintain the attack was politically instigated yet there were reports that Al Shabaab had admitted responsibility.
The Principal Secretary in the Interior Ministry Mutea Iringo announced that a suspect had been arrested for running a fake Twitter account that linked the Al Shabaab to the attack.
“It is clear the communication posted on the handle never came from the Al Shabaab leadership in Somalia,” Iringo stated.
President Uhuru Kenyatta had on Tuesday announced the suspension of top police and county commanders accused of failing to act on intelligence reports in Lamu, leading to the killings.