, NAIROBI, Kenya, June 18 – Safaricom Chief Executive Officer Bob Collymore appeared before the National Assembly committee on Administration and National Security on Wednesday morning to answer questions on the multi-billion shilling Integrated Public Safety Communication and Surveillance System tender.
The telecommunications company had previously stated its willingness to co-operate fully with the committee as it strives to ensure the tendering process was above board.
“In the interests of transparency, Safaricom Limited welcomes the move by the Parliamentary Committee on Security and Administration to scrutinise the deal and we would therefore like to assure Parliament of our full cooperation during life of the probe,” Collymore had said.
Interior Cabinet Secretary Joseph Ole Lenku and Inspector General of Police David Kimaiyo have already appeared before the committee and defended the restriction of the tender award to Safaricom.
“I don’t think anything went wrong with the award of tender to Safaricom and we are clear that the necessary procurement process was followed. We are aware of individual concern and we continue to open the process for all and sundry to see,” Lenku defended.
The Communications Authority of Kenya (CAK) on June 12 also defended Safaricom’s capability to deliver on the Integrated Public Safety Communication and Surveillance System.
“On the international best practices, we have followed them and we want to ensure the entire process is followed to the best interest of Kenyans,” CAK Director General Francis Wangusi sought to assure the committee.
The committee had directed the Executive not to sign off on the deal until it verified that no procurement laws were contravened when the surveillance tender was awarded to Safaricom.
“When it comes to restricted tendering there’s always intra-competition. And while under security restricted tendering is allowed, we must subject Safaricom to the due process,” the committee chairman and Tiaty Member of Parliament Asman Kamama said.