, NAIROBI, Kenya, Jun 20 – The government has now strongly advised Kenyans to watch World Cup games from the comfort of their homes and not in crowded places following heightened security concerns.
A statement from the Interior Ministry also urged bar and restaurant owners to heighten security in their premises due to the increased terror threats in the country.
“This will ensure that bar and restaurant patrons are safe from criminals who may try to take advantage of the world cup to perpetrate acts of criminality and violence,” ministry spokesman Mwenda Njoka stated while emphasising the need for all to play their role in ensuring security is top in their priorities.
“Where possible, Kenyans are strongly advised to watch the World Cup matches from the comfort of their homes instead of crowded and unprotected open-places.”
During the weekend attacks in Mpeketoni that left 60 people dead, cafes and bars were reported to have been teeming with people watching the World Cup.
According to Njoka, the advisory against watching the games in crowded places will protect many Kenyans from perpetrators of heinous crimes.
“Although the Government has beefed up security in all parts of the country, bar and restaurant owners are at the same time notified to maintain high alert in their areas of operation,” he said.
The government on Thursday said five suspects involved in the Mpeketoni attacks were shot dead and firearms believed to have been used in the raid recovered from the slain men, who had engaged police officers in a shootout.
Inspector General of Police David Kimaiyo has also announced the prosecution of three suspects over the attacks blamed on political incitement.
The police chief said all efforts are being done to ensure all the suspects in this tragedy are brought to book.
He indicated that police were still interrogating suspects arrested over the killings, including the one who took them to the site where bodies of two brothers whose vans were hijacked by the attackers were dumped.
The statement from the Interior Ministry came as police also continued with the investigations of the circulation of hate leaflets found in various parts of Rift Valley Province, including Nakuru.
They have warned that anyone found to have been involved in the distribution of the leaflets will face the full force of the law.
The Interior Ministry also announced the deployment of more security forces to various parts of the country, including Rift Valley, Bungoma and informal settlements in Nairobi to restore peace.
This follows an announcement by the Interior Cabinet Secretary Joseph ole Lenku earlier in the week that some politicians are involved in community mobilisation which can easily lead to violence.