, MOMBASA, Kenya, Jun 24 – At least five people were killed on Monday night in a fresh attack in Witu a few kilometres from Mpeketoni in Lamu, where more than 60 people were massacred last week.
Authorities said armed gunmen attacked villagers in Witu, leaving scores of people injured in Monday night’s raid.
Lamu County Commissioner Stephen Ikua confirmed the attack and assured that more police officers had been deployed to the area to ascertain the number of casualties and the motive of the attack.
“We have received information of another unfortunate attack… our officers are headed to the scene to gather more information,” said Ikua.
The attack comes despite heavy deployment of security personnel in the coastal town of Lamu that has recently witnessed a wave of insecurity.
More than 800 families have fled their homes for fears of more attacks and are camping in makeshift shelters set up by the Kenya Red Cross.
Inspector General of Police David Kimaiyo had led a delegation of security chiefs to the area where they assured residents of their safety.