Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?



Embu Speaker traumatised after kidnap ordeal

"These people kept him for four days even as his wife, mother and children were all crying out of desperation"/MIKE KARIUKI

“These people kept him for four days even as his wife, mother and children were all crying out of desperation”/MIKE KARIUKI

NAIROBI, Kenya May 23 – Embu County Assembly Speaker Justus Kariuki Mate is in a stable condition but traumatised after his four-day kidnap ordeal.

Embu Senator Lenny Kivuti said that he had visited the Speaker at the Aga Khan Hospital in Nairobi where he is admitted.

“By the time that he was brought to the hospital he was completely ice cold and the doctors had do a lot of procedures so that they could stabilise him.”

“We are sure that he was not taken by animals… he was taken by people. These people kept him for four days even as his wife, mother and children were all crying out of desperation.”

“We assure the family and the people of Embu that we will bring to book these perpetrators and they will have to explain exactly what happened.”

“The Speaker is stable and can even speak but for now we want him to rest so that he can help the police with their investigations,” the Embu Senator explained.

Deputy Speaker Ibrahim Swaleh said the county officials would not be intimidated by such acts, and vowed to ensure they help the police apprehend Mate’s abductors.

“We are in shock following the abduction of our Speaker but we thank God that we have found him, and he is alive.”

“We are hoping as Members of the County Assembly that what has happened is not about the political issues that we have in the county. If it is, we want them to know that we are not cowards and we will continue to serve the people of Embu County,” Swaleh urged.

Mate was found on Thursday night in Limuru near St Paul’s University by a lorry driver, who escorted him to the Gigiri Police Station.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

He was later taken to the Aga Khan hospital.

Nairobi Police Chief Benson Kibue told Capital FM News that detectives would interrogate him as part of investigations into his mysterious disappearance from a Nairobi Hotel where he had been attending a meeting on Monday.

On Thursday, Nicholas Muriuki Kangangi who is based at the Pangani Police Station’s CID department appeared before the Chief Magistrate’s Court at Milimani, Nairobi where he denied the charge of abduction with intent to unlawfully confine the Embu Speaker.

Magistrate Peter Ndwiga freed Kangangi on a cash bail of Sh100,000 and ordered him to appear in court on Monday next week for further orders before the case is heard on July 9.

The CID officer was allegedly scheduled to meet Mate on the day he disappeared.


More on Capital News