2 suspects charged over Mombasa blast

May 12, 2014 3:16 pm
Shares

,

Ahmed Abdallah Ali and Nassir Ali Skanda however denied two counts of committing a terrorist act when they appeared before Chief Magistrate Maxwell Gicheru/FILE
Ahmed Abdallah Ali and Nassir Ali Skanda however denied two counts of committing a terrorist act when they appeared before Chief Magistrate Maxwell Gicheru/FILE
MOMBASA, Kenya, May 12 – Two suspects were on Monday charged over one of the May 3 twin explosions that killed three people and left 23 others injured in the coastal city of Mombasa.

Ahmed Abdallah Ali and Nassir Ali Skanda however denied two counts of committing a terrorist act when they appeared before Chief Magistrate Maxwell Gicheru.

They denied charges of detonating an Improvised Explosive Device and endangering the lives of the public on a path leading to a hotel in Nyali.

The court granted the prosecution 90 days to complete investigations which involve a trans-border probe that requires the State to fetch evidence from Somalia.

The magistrate ordered the two to be remanded at the central police station and appear in court on Wednesday where he will make a ruling on their bail application.

Mombasa County Commander Robert Kitur has since said police are holding four suspects in connection with the twin blasts.

Kitur said the two suspects in court had been positively identified by witnesses as being behind the foiled attack.

READ Two Mombasa blast suspects arrested by police

A source privy to the investigations said one of the accused had a mobile phone that was used to detonate the explosive.

He had moments earlier been denied entry into the beach hotel after failing to identify himself.

Shares

Latest Articles

Most Viewed