Police blame the public of failing to give information even when they are aware of planned criminal activities while some even collaborate with the perpetrators.
Nairobi Deputy Commandant Moses Ombati says resources will not be wasted in trying to contain insecurity, if people agree to take security as their personal responsibility.
“We live with these people in our homes and estates. Report them to police and the rest shall be ours (police),” he said.
He notes that for the few days crackdown has been enforced, cases of crime being reported have drastically reduced.
“How is the experience there? I tell you, things have really changed and they will even be better,” he stated.
The Inspector General of police David Kimaiyo has since said that the operation will continue even as politicians and human groups complain over the manner in which it’s being carried out.
The Principal Secretary in the Ministry of Interior Mutea Iringo vowed they would not bow to criticism by politicians and human rights groups over the manner in which the operations is being carried out.
Iringo says the operation was noble, and only focusing at protecting lives and property of Kenyans.
Iringo who launched the Rapid Response Initiative in Kisumu on Friday warned politicians against applying double-standards in handling matters of insecurity saying the police bear the greatest responsibility when things go wrong.
On Thursday, Deputy President William Ruto also said that the sole aim of the operation was to weed out criminals without targeting any community in the country. READ Ruto: Why terror crackdown is necessary
“We have so far deported 82 people who were living here illegally. But what is wrong with taking people to their homes for being here illegally and after abusing our generosity?” he posed.
Over 3,000 people have been screened since the crackdown started.