, NAIROBI, Kenya, Apr 17 – Against the advice of his legal counsel on Thursday, former Deputy Speaker of the National Assembly Farah Maalim reiterated the allegedly inciteful statement he made on the Citizen TV’s Cheche show.
“I did say that it’s possible that the government is doing some of these things (explosions) because it wants to carry favours with the western world,” he told reporters immediately after walking out of the ATPU headquarters.
He went on to say that he felt no remorse over the utterance and would make it again as Harun Ndubi, who acted as his legal counsel, urged him to, “leave it at that please.”
“Now that the matter is under investigation, I have no regrets about it. I would repeat it all over again,” Maalim insisted.
Adding that he was unafraid of being charged because of it, “They will investigate, they will conclude their investigation and if they want to take us to court fair enough. We’ll meet in court.”
But while Maalim wasn’t shy about repeating his allegedly inciteful statement outside the ATPU precincts, Ndubi said his client had chosen to exercise his right to, “not say anything,” when he was before the ATPU investigators.
“They are investigating Maalim Farah for the offence of incitement, ostensibly for what he said on Cheche Live yesterday. We have recorded a statement choosing to say nothing because that is a right under the Constitution. They will continue with their investigations and as soon as they have completed their file, they will advise us whether they want to go to Court or close their file,” Ndubi said.
And as Ndubi insisted that that Maalim had been “invited not summoned,” to the ATPU headquarters on Hospital road, Maalim praised their handling of the affair.
“As of now I am not in custody and I must also say that they have been very civil and very polished in the manner that they engaged us and that’s about all,” he concluded.