Leafy suburbs next in Usalama Watch crackdown

April 23, 2014 2:12 pm
Shares

,

Following the operation, Nairobi Police Chief Benson Kibue says the rate of crime has drastically reduced with only a handful cases being reported since the crackdown was launched/FILE
Following the operation, Nairobi Police Chief Benson Kibue says the rate of crime has drastically reduced with only a handful cases being reported since the crackdown was launched/FILE
NAIROBI Kenya, Apr 22 – Police now says the Usalama Watch operation will be extended to all areas within Nairobi County including the leafy suburbs where they believe some foreigners might be living without legal documents.

Following the operation, Nairobi Police Chief Benson Kibue says the rate of crime has drastically reduced with only a handful cases being reported since the crackdown was launched.

On Wednesday morning, only one case had been reported where two thugs were shot dead by police at the City Stadium roundabout.

“During this Easter Holiday celebrations, things have been very okay. Nothing was registered in as far as robberies, muggings or any other crimes. There have been no criminal activities during this period of time and we urge you as the public to remain vigilant,” he said. READ: No crimes reported in Nairobi over Easter – Police

He indicated that they will continue with the vigilance and urged members of the public to report any suspicious activities.

Addressing journalists after meeting security heads in Nairobi on Wednesday, Kibue said police will not relent regardless of criticism, saying they will perform their duty as per the law.

“Where all these people have fled to, we are going to get them… we will continue with this so that the business community operating within the city will be free to carry out with their business without fear,” he stated.

“Nairobi is everything to this country, we are head and shoulder high because we are acting according to the mandate given to us by the Constitution.”

The operation has so far concentrated in Eastleigh and South ‘C’ with over 3,000 people arrested and over 200 aliens deported to their countries.

He warned that those who are found with illegal firearms after an amnesty by the President Uhuru Kenyatta is over will have themselves to blame.

“We will get those fire arms and this will not please anybody; in the process someone may be hurt, I cannot shy off to say, someone might be hurt,” he warned.

On April 17, the President reminded those still in possession of illegal guns to surrender them before the deadline given lapses, failure to which they will face the consequences.

READ: Uhuru issues two-week gun ultimatum

“To those carrying illegal weapons that are not licensed, we are giving them two weeks to return them and they will be forgiven,” President Kenyatta said as he issued the ultimatum.

“Whatever will happen after that to those who feel like not doing so, they will have themselves to blame.”

Shares

Latest Articles

Most Viewed