Give us a break, govt tells rights groups

April 24, 2014 2:32 pm
Shares

,

President Kenyatta categorically stated that the government will not relent in its war against crime and terror, as he mourned two police officers who were killed in an explosion at Pangani on Wednesday night/PSCU
President Kenyatta categorically stated that the government will not relent in its war against crime and terror, as he mourned two police officers who were killed in an explosion at Pangani on Wednesday night/PSCU
NAIROBI, Kenya, Apr 24 – The government has affirmed that no amount of criticism will distract the ongoing crackdown on terror, as it strives to make the country secure.

Senior government officials who spoke at the GSU pass-out parade led by President Uhuru Kenyatta condemned politicisation of the security operation by a section of human rights groups.

President Kenyatta categorically stated that the government will not relent in its war against crime and terror, as he mourned two police officers who were killed in an explosion at Pangani on Wednesday night.

“Many diligent, courageous and good officers have made the ultimate sacrifice and given their lives in the defence and protection of life and property,” he stated.

“Yesterday, yet again two more gallant officers made that sacrifice; Police Constable Francis Murage and Samuel Cheptoo. I would like to ask all of you to join me in the moment of silence in their memories and that of all other officers who have given their lives for the protection of our people.”

He noted that the police officers lost their lives trying to avoid a scenario where more people could have been killed.

Human right groups have instead accused the police of harassing innocent public while carrying out the Usalama Watch operation.

The Government has since denied the allegations saying not a single person has filed complaints against police officers.

In the case of the Pangani explosion, the two policemen were killed after a car that they had intercepted exploded as they led it to the Pangani Police Station.

Two other police officers are undergoing treatment for injuries sustained during the explosion.

READ 2 cops among four people killed in Nairobi blast

President Kenyatta called on members of the public to provide information to the police that can help curb an impending attack, saying that it was everybody’s responsibility to ensure the country is safe.

The Head of State explained there were indications that the operation had started yielding results. More than 3,000 people have been arrested so far with over 200 aliens being deported. READ Uhuru: Police anti-terror swoop not biased

“It is the responsibility of all Kenyans to know that a neighbour must ensure the security of their neighbour…this means ensuring your safety too. Let’s unite in this so that we can have a country that is developed with all what we want,” he said.

While expressing his government’s commitment to deal with the challenge of unemployment, he said that this should not be an excuse for one to engage in crime.

The president again cautioned that those with illegal firearms to return them to the authorities and even provided suggestions where to do this. “You can give it to a church leader or a sheikh whom you trust if you fear the police.”

Part 1 | Part 2
Shares

Latest Articles

Most Viewed