, NAIROBI, Kenya, Feb 5 – The High Court in Nyeri has halted the admission of students to secondary schools in the county over an alleged flawed selection exercise.
While giving the ruling, Justice James Wakiaga ordered that the process be stopped until a case filed by the County Government is heard and determined.
Lawyer Wahome Gikonyo who was representing the County of Nyeri lauded the move saying that it will give students from Nyeri access county schools.
“The judge has ruled that until that matter is heard inter-partes on Friday and when the Cabinet Secretary of Education and his PS will have responded, no admissions will take place. Those students whose hopes had been dashed will now have a chance to be heard and this matter will be resolved most likely in their favour,” Gikonyo said.
“The anomaly and injustice that had been visited on them will be addressed.”
There are more than 2,000 students that were initially admitted to the County schools in Nyeri.
The County Government claimed that the County did not get the 60 percent of the slots they are legally entitled to.
In the suit, the Cabinet Secretary and his Principal Secretary are accused of abetting the flawed selection process, which gave the lion’s share of the Form One places in the county schools to outsiders, leaving out Nyeri students who had performed well.
He further said that the selection process was not based on merit.[cresta-social-share]