, NAIROBI, Kenya, Feb 21 – Mwai Kibaki’s Private Secretary Nick Wanjohi has denied allegations by the International Criminal Court (ICC) Prosecution’s expert witness, Herve Maupeu, that over 500 members of the Mungiki sect were massacred under the former president’s tenure.
Wanjohi not only described the allegations as unfounded but malicious as Kibaki had instead sought to “rehabilitate and integrate” members of the sect.
“The allegations attributed to the ‘expert’ amount to nothing but prima facie witchcraft and reckless mischief bereft of any iota of objectivity. Such allegations are best treated with a generous serving of salt and the contempt they deserve,” Wanjohi stated.
Wanjohi questioned the Frenchman’s expertise on Kenya’s socio-political affairs urging that his testimony be taken in the context of an “intellectual poseur.”
“Though described as an ‘expert witness’ he has made several far-fetched and laughable allegations about Kenya. His ‘expert advice’ begs immediate correction and placement within both context and perspective,” he restated.
Free Universal Basic Education and the Youth Fund, both began during President Kibaki’s terms in office, he said, were fine examples of President Kibaki’s attitude toward the youth.
“His administration was concerned with such groupings as Chinkororo, Baghdad Boys, Angola-Musumbiji and Mungiki. The ultimate aim of this initiative was to enable members of such groupings to positively participate in nation-building alongside everybody else,” Wanjohi stated.
On Tuesday, Maupeu told the ICC in the case facing Deputy President William Ruto and former radio presenter Joshua arap Sang that former security minister, the late John Michuki, orchestrated the “massacre” of Mungiki because he believed they wouldn’t vote for him or Kibaki in the 2007 general election.
“In March 2007 various police forces massacred all the groups that appeared to be Mungiki in Central Province so by the end of 2007, the Mungiki had very little mobilisation capacity,” he testified.
It was however not the first time such an allegation had been made with The Kenya National Commission on Human Rights (KNCHR) raising the same concern in 2009. An accusation the Kenya Police Force, at the time, denied at a time when Special Rapporteur for Human Rights, Professor Philip Alston, was finalising a report on extra-judicial killings.