Probe launched after Kavuludi death threats

January 23, 2014 8:37 am
Shares

,

Kavuludi had hinted on Wednesday morning when he appeared on Citizen TV’s talk show that he has been receiving threats, but vowed they will not cow him/FILE
Kavuludi had hinted on Wednesday morning when he appeared on Citizen TV’s talk show that he has been receiving threats, but vowed they will not cow him/FILE
NAIROBI, Kenya, Jan 23 – Police have started investigations following threats to the National Police Service Commission Chairman Johnstone Kavuludi and other members of the police vetting panel.

Kavuludi had hinted on Wednesday morning when he appeared on Citizen TV’s talk show that he has been receiving threats, but vowed they will not cow him.

“The matter has been reported formally and is under investigation to establish who is threatening the commission’s chairman and other panel members,” a senior police officer privy to the investigation said.

“The letter that was sent to the chairman is being investigated,” he said.

A similar incident on August 30 last year saw a human head and two hands dumped outside the National Police Service Commission headquarters which was then located on University Way.

Guards said they first saw the carton at 4 pm but didn’t suspect anything until 7pm when they decided to report the matter to the police.

CID bomb disposal unit experts were then called after it was suspected to be a bomb only to find the human head and hands when it was opened at about 9pm.

On the carton, there was a warning to a top police official with his name indicated saying, “you’re next.”

Though admitting that the journey to a reformed police service has major hurdles, Kavuludi maintains he will soldier on.

The threats were sent to the commissioners and panel members even as they prepared to release results of the vetting conducted on 23 Deputy Commissioners of Police in the past three weeks.

Ironically the vetting panel consists senior members of the National Police Service – the Inspector General of Police David Kimaiyo, his deputy Grace Kaindi and the Director of Criminal Investigations Department Ndegwa Muhoro.

Already the exercise has seen three senior officers retired from service. Although they have challenged the decision to sack them, those pronounced as unfit by the NPSC are Senior Deputy Commissioners Peter Elaini Eregai, Francis Omondi Okonya and Jonathan Kipkirui Koskei.

Okonya has since been reinstated awaiting the hearing of his case challenging the process.

Shares

Latest Articles

Most Viewed