, UNITED NATIONS, Dec 19 – The United Nations said it has lost contact with a South Sudan base that was stormed by attackers Thursday and at least three peacekeepers and civilian staff are unaccounted for.
UN deputy spokesman Farhan Haq said 40 Indian peacekeepers at the base at Akobo in Jonglei state had been moved to a nearby South Sudan army camp, but that three peacekeepers and possibly one civilian worker were missing.
The fate of more than 30 ethnic Dinka civilians who had taken refuge at the Akobo base was also not known, Haq added.
“We are no longer in contact with the Akobo base,” Haq said.
The base was attacked on Thursday by ethnic Nuer youth, amid widening battles between followers of South Sudan’s president and former vice president, and the United Nations says it fears there are deaths at Akobo.