NAIROBI, Kenya, Oct 25 – The International Criminal Court (ICC) on Friday warned Deputy President William Ruto against commenting in the media over matters touching on his ongoing trial.
Trial Chamber V(a) Presiding Judge Chile Eboe-Osuji pointed out that this was not the first time Ruto had commented on the case.
He however said the court had received an apology through Ruto’s lawyer Karim Khan.
According to the judge, Ruto should not talk about the case since it is before court.
Ruto was this week interviewed on CNN and previously addressed a press conference at The Hague where he spoke on matters affecting his case at the ICC.
On October 15, Ruto told a news conference at The Hague that he would continue attending his trial until the UN Security Council rules on a resolution that was passed by the African Union.
Ruto however told journalists that both he and President Uhuru Kenyatta should be excused from the hearings because the ICC Prosecution had failed in investigating the atrocities committed in the 2008 post election violence.
He also expressed concern over the manner in which the ICC Prosecution had conducted its case so far, saying it had become abundantly clear it had failed in its task to investigate the events that followed the bungled 2007 General Election.
Kenyatta, Ruto and former radio presenter Joshua arap Sang are accused by the ICC Prosecutor of being most responsible for the atrocities that followed.
But the Deputy President maintained that the OTP had bribed and manipulated witnesses to provide false testimony before the court.