Human remains, guns found in Westgate rubble

October 17, 2013 4:17 pm
Shares

,

A senior police officer briefed on this latest recovery told Capital FM News that also found, were three AK47 rifles/FILE
A senior police officer briefed on this latest recovery told Capital FM News that also found, were three AK47 rifles/FILE
NAIROBI, Kenya Oct 17 – The recovery team at the Westgate Shopping Mall has found a human skull and a live bomb from the rubble, a month after the terror attack that claimed the lives of over 60 people.

A senior police officer briefed on this latest recovery told Capital FM News that also found, were three AK47 rifles.

“The recovery exercise is still underway, our teams are still on the ground,” the senior officer said, confirming Thursday’s recoveries “A human skull and a live bomb were recovered.”

He said they believe the AK-47 rifles belong to terrorists who were killed during the four-day siege in the mall that started on September 21 when Al Shabaab attackers launched the deadly terror attack.

“We do not know what more to expect, and we don’t want to speculate,” the senior officer said, referring us to Inspector General of Police David Kimaiyo for further clarification.

Kimaiyo was not available to comment on the latest recovery, when we called him, but an official in his office said Interior Cabinet Secretary Joseph ole Lenku would issue a statement.

The officers also recovered 11 empty magazines from the site. “None of them belong to our security forces, we know our weapons,” another senior officer who saw the guns and magazines said.

The human skull was taken to the City Mortuary where, police said, a DNA examination will be conducted to help identify it. “It is difficult to tell if it belongs to the terrorist, civilian or security forces who went to rescue people in the mall because it is decomposed.”

Sixty seven civilians, six security forces and five attackers were killed in the siege.

President Uhuru Kenyatta has announced plans to set up a Commission of Inquiry to investigate the terror attack and identify loopholes in the security department.

So far, no one has been prosecuted over the attack with latest reports from intelligence sources indicating that anti terrorism police and CID detectives are still gathering evidence to link suspects still in custody to the attack, some having been released for lack of sufficient evidence.

Shares

Latest Articles

Most Viewed