NAIROBI, Kenya, Sep 25 – President Uhuru Kenyatta has summoned a meeting of the National Security Council over the Westgate attack which has so far claimed 67 lives.
Secretary to the Cabinet Francis Kimemia said the meeting will take stock of lessons learnt in the whole tragedy and formulate the way forward.
The meeting is expected to spell out a number of tight measures and policies for the country’s security forces to guard against future attacks.
On Tuesday the downcast president who also lost his nephew in the attack said Kenya will track down the attackers and they will face the full process of justice.
He said five of them also died in the attack and 11 other suspects were being held for questioning.
He said forensic teams had moved into the besieged mall o Tuesday to identify the five slain attackers as well as other bodies that may have been trapped inside the building.
He said the forensic team would help to ascertain the nationalities of the attackers, as he acknowledged – but declined to confirm – reports that some of the terrorists could be British and Americans.
Kenyatta vowed that Kenya will not be browbeaten by the cowardly act that has led to the loss of at least six security personnel.
He declared three days of mourning starting Wednesday in which national flags will be flown at half mast in honour of those who lost their lives.
Sixty-two other survivors are admitted to hospitals in Nairobi but those who suffered trauma and mild injuries had been discharged to receive counselling.
Already people who had parked their cars at Nakumatt Ukay have been allowed to pick their cars.
At the Westgate mall security operations are still ongoing.