, SANAA, Sep 26 – Two roadside bombs exploded one after the other in the Yemeni capital on Thursday wounding 12 people, a security official said.
The twin blasts were on the busy Al-Rabat Street where the explosive devices had been hidden among piles of rubbish.
No casualties were reported in the first explosion, the official said.
But as pedestrians gathered in the area a second bomb went off, “wounding 12 people, four of them seriously,” he said.
Cars were damaged in the blast that also shattered windows, he said. Security forces then cordoned off and searched the area.
The bombings are the latest in a series of attacks that usually target military personnel, not civilians.
They come after President Abdrabuh Mansur Hadi vowed on Wednesday to eradicate terrorism in Yemen, plagued by Al-Qaeda and domestic unrest.
Also on Wednesday, a suicide bomber killed an army intelligence officer in Ataq, the capital of Shabwa province in the south.
Authorities blame such attacks on Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula, which the United States sees as the network’s deadliest franchise.
On Friday, suspected jihadists launched spectacular dawn attacks on three police and army positions in Shabwa, killing at least 56 security personnel.
It was the deadliest day for the army since a suicide bombing in the capital on May 21 last year killed some 100 soldiers.