All is being done to end Westgate siege – Ruto

September 21, 2013 5:24 pm
Shares

,

“The Government will bring the siege to end and will go to the bottom of the attack,” he said in a statement from The Hague/XINHUA
“The Government will bring the siege to end and will go to the bottom of the attack,” he said in a statement from The Hague/XINHUA
NAIROBI, Kenya, Sep 21 – Deputy President William Ruto has assured Kenyans that the government is doing everything in its power to end the hostage situation that gripped the Westgate mall on Saturday.

He said the gunmen who took shoppers and staff at the mall hostage would be brought to book once security forces managed to contain the situation.

“The Government will bring the siege to end and will go to the bottom of the attack. We will bring to account the perpetrators and their accomplices. Our security is important,” he said in a statement from The Hague.

He condoled with the victims of the attack and their families and urged Kenyans to co-operate with security agents as they worked to mitigate further loss of life.

“We ask all to cooperate with the security agencies not only now but when they have information they feel can help prevent such tragedies in future,” he said.

Interior Cabinet Secretary Joseph ole Lenku joined the Deputy President in assuring Kenyans that everything was being done to bring the standoff to an end and assured security agents had already secured most of the mall.

“Our people have reached most of the floors and taken them over. We have put in place machinery to find the perpetrators of the crime,” he informed the press outside the mall.

Interior Principal Secretary Mutea Iringo said the government had taken the additional step of air surveillance in its bid to bring an end to the hostage situation.

Nairobi Governor Evans Kidero joined the security chiefs in calling for calm and assured city residents that every possible measure has been taken to ensure their safety.

“I am deeply saddened by the incident that took place at Westgate this morning and wish to assure residents of Nairobi that we shall move swiftly and engage very closely with all the security agents and relevant authorities to ensure that the security situation in Nairobi is not compromised in any way,” he said.

The incident has also attracted the attention of the United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-Moon who assured Kenyans that the international community’s thoughts and prayers were with them at this trying time.
Click to view Photo gallery
[fbphotos id=10151433159227609 size=small]

Part 1 | Part 2
Shares

Latest Articles

Most Viewed