NAIROBI, Kenya, Aug 14 – Former Prime Minister Raila odinga has surrendered all the luxury vehicles that had been assigned to him during his tenure as directed by the Ministry of Interior and Coordination of National Government.
Through his spokesman Dennis Onyango, Odinga said that he had also written to the said ministry to indicate the release of the vehicles.
Onyango’s statement indicated that the former Premier’s Secretariat wrote to Interior Secretary Joseph ole Lenku on August 13, after receiving those directions from the government on July 26.
“I wish to clarify that Hon Raila Odinga has cooperated and moved with speed to surrender state vehicles from the day the Ministry of Interior and Coordination of National Government formally notified him, in writing, of a new policy on provision of motor vehicles and security,” explained Onyango.
The statement also denied claims in a local daily that he had held discussions with President Uhuru Kenyatta on the issue of the vehicles.
“Mr Odinga has not, at any time, discussed with any state officers, either verbally or in writing, his alleged agreement with the President on the issue of vehicles, as reported,” it read.
Odinga and former Vice President Kalonzo Musyoka had been directed to return a total of nine luxury vehicles to the State.
Odinga had been assigned seven of those vehicles while Musyoka had two.
The former PM was expected to give back one Range Rover, three Prados, three Mercedes Benz and a Nissan Sunny.
Kalonzo was on the other hand expected to give back two Toyota Prados.
While issuing the July directive, Interior Cabinet Secretary Joseph Ole Lenku said that the two personalities would receive 12 body guards each and two vehicles to ferry their security detail.
“In line with Government Policy, I wish to inform you that you have been allocated two government vehicles for use by the security officers attached to you,” said Lenku at the time.
Reports had also indicated that Musyoka has returned the vehicles assigned to him saying he wasn’t using them.