Public inquest recommended in 2012 Rogo killing

August 26, 2013 8:52 am
Shares

,

Senior Assistant Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) Jacob Ondari said that that the inquest should be led by senior prosecutors in the office of the DPP/FILE
Senior Assistant Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) Jacob Ondari said that that the inquest should be led by senior prosecutors in the office of the DPP/FILE
NAIROBI, Kenya Aug 26 – The Task Force that investigated the August 27, 2012 death of Muslim cleric Sheikh Aboud Rogo Mohammed has recommended a public inquest into his killing.

When submitting the report on Monday, Senior Assistant Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) Jacob Ondari said that that the inquest should be led by senior prosecutors in the office of the DPP.

“We have just handed over the report to the DPP and he has pledged to release this report to any member of the public who may wish to look at it,” Ondari said.

He said that the public probe should be done with the necessary assurances to witnesses regarding their safety and security.

Ondari said that any member of the public who has any information but has not recorded statement with the Task Force is at liberty to do so during the inquest.

The Task Force received and reviewed 11 police files in regard to the killing of Rogo where 29 witnesses were interviewed and recorded statements with the police.

Rogo who was on a United States and United Nation sanctions lists for allegedly supporting Somalia’s Al-Qaeda-linked Shabaab militants was killed when unidentified gunmen opened fire on his vehicle as he was driving with his wife and children, sparking furious protests.

The Task Force however reported that it encountered a number of challenges after the public took control of the crime scene and contaminated it.

“The public removed the body from the scene and buried it denying the police a chance to carry out important procedures like confirmation of death, identification of the body and conduct of post-mortem,” Ondari said.

He said that the vehicle that was used by the assailants did not bear a registration number plate thus it became difficult to trace.

They also reported lack of cooperation from some agencies and organizations.

The Task Force was also mandated to peruse and review other police files in which the deceased had been charged with criminal offences and which were either under investigation by the police or at various stages of prosecution.

“The Task Force recommends that the incitement to violence case against Abubakar Shariff alias Makaburi which is already in court be brought to logical conclusion,” he said.

Makaburi is charged with inciting his followers to burn churches following the execution of Sheikh Rogo.

The Task Force has also recommended necessary investigations be conducted and concluded without delay on the burning of a government vehicle belonging to Ministry of Finance and grenade attacks on police officers within Lebanon area (Mombasa).

“The DPP is committed and ready to work on the recommendations and he has promised to act on them immediately,” Ondari said.

Shares

Latest Articles

Most Viewed