, NAIROBI, Kenya, Aug 1 – Doctors have now cancelled their planned work boycott that was set for Monday next week, after the government released their pay for the month of July.
Speaking to Capital FM News on Thursday morning, Secretary General Sultani Matendechero announced that they had been assured by the Health Ministry that the problem had been resolved.
He pointed out that following discussions with Health Secretary James Macharia, medics should start receiving money in their accounts by Friday.
“The situation has been handled. We had a meeting with the Health Secretary yesterday afternoon and he assured us that the processing of the payroll has been completed. During the meeting, we also set out a plan of action that we will pursue to ensure that no such delays occur again,” he said.
The union official said that during the meeting, it was agreed that doctors should be paid though the national government until county structures are enforced.
“We also had a consensus on the modality of payment of salaries where it was stated that it should be done through the national government until the devolved structures are put in place,” he stated.
The medics had earlier in the week threatened to boycott work from next week if the government failed to release their July salaries.
The union had stated that the delay was largely due to efforts to hurriedly transfer benefits due to members to counties.
While stating their support for devolution, it had pointed out that transition to the counties should be done in an organized manner.
The government through Macharia however moved to assure them that they will be paid and that calls for a boycott were premature since the month had not yet ended.
He indicated that health workers’ needs cannot be taken for granted as this could affect the nation negatively.