NAIROBI, Kenya, Jul 18 – The second term of the school calendar has been extended by two weeks for form four and standard eight candidates to enable them recover lost time as a result of the nationwide teachers’ strike.
Speaking to Capital FM News on Thursday afternoon, an official at the Education Ministry said all the other classes will close as usual but will have a squeezed curriculum to catch up on time that was lost.
“Those sitting the Kenya Certificate of Secondary School Examination (KCSE) and Kenya Certificate of Primary Education (KCPE) will get an extra two weeks,” the official said on condition of anonymity since he is not authorised to speak to the media.
He further pointed out that all public schools are expected to be opened by latest Monday next week so that students can resume learning.
“The ministry has held a meeting with the Teachers Service Commission and the Kenya National Examination Council and it was decided that the term will be extended by a period of two weeks for all candidates,” he stated.
“This extension only applies to candidates and the other students will close at their usual time and then they will be able to recover what they have lost somehow within the next term.”
KNUT finally called off its month-long strike after accepting the very same government offer they rejected over the weekend.
The National Executive Council was forced to accept a Sh16.8 billion offer after Deputy President William Ruto made it clear that they would not get a better deal.
After signing a return-to-work formula, KNUT acting Secretary General Mudzo Nzili directed teachers to report to schools by 8am on Thursday despite a directive issued by Education Secretary Jacob Kaimenyi earlier on Wednesday that public primary schools be closed indefinitely.
There was confusion on Thursday as a number of students reported to school only to find them still shut.