Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

top
Capital News
The defence will also explain its request to have the trial date moved to November at the earliest/FILE

Kenya

Ruto in The Hague for ICC case

The defence will also explain its request to have the trial date moved to November at the earliest/FILE

The defence will also explain its request to have the trial date moved to November at the earliest/FILE

NAIROBI, Kenya, May 14 – Deputy President William Ruto has already arrived in The Hague to attend a Status Conference for his case at the International Criminal Court (ICC).

Officials from the deputy president’s office told Capital FM News that Ruto left Nairobi at about 11pm on Monday night.

“Ruto arrived in the Hague at 6am local time and was received by Kenya’s ambassador to the Netherlands. Dutch officials accorded the deputy president VIP treatment,” an official accompanying Ruto said.

During the conference, a new trial date for Ruto and his co-accused radio journalist Joshua Sang is expected to be discussed, after Trial Chamber V agreed to change the earlier commencement date of May 28.

“Trial Chamber V of the International Criminal Court decided to provisionally vacate the date of the trial’s start in the case of The Prosecutor vs. William Samoei Ruto and Joshua arap Sang and conveyed a public status conference on 14 May 2013. A new date for the trial’s opening will be scheduled after hearing the parties and participants’ observations during the status conference,” the court said in a statement last Monday.

In addition, a request by Prosecutor Fatou Bensouda to add five witnesses plus modalities of participation by the accused in the case will be discussed.

Ruto and Sang are facing three counts of crimes against humanity for their alleged role in the 2007/8 post-election violence.

Ruto had last month requested that his trial be moved to November citing the inclusion of evidence from the five new witnesses and the short notice given by the defence to prepare the case.

During the status conferences the defence, prosecution and victims through their representatives will give their observations in regard to the prosecutor’s request to add the five witnesses.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

The defence will also explain its request to have the trial date moved to November at the earliest.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Advertisement

More on Capital News