, NAIROBI, Kenya, May 23 – The Public Service Commission (PSC) has defended itself from accusations that it did not follow proper procedure in recruiting individuals to be appointed as Principal Secretaries.
The commission’s Chief Executive Officer Alice Atieno, in an affidavit lodged in court argues that there was no reason to stop the process of appointing the PSs as demanded in court by Consumers Federation of Kenya (COFEK).
The federation, through its officials argues that the PSC conducted the interviews in clear violation of the Constitution by ignoring public participation in the process.
They say that the commission’s decision to conduct the interviews in-camera and denying the public information on which 66 names were forwarded to the president had denied the Kenyan public an opportunity to participate in the recruitment.
According to the federation, several current Permanent Secretaries who had expressed interest to continue in office were denied the chance without reasonable ground, making them suffer humiliation, loss of self-esteem and imputed negatively on their integrity.
The PSC has however maintained that the list of the shortlisted applicants was published in the newspapers and thereafter the views of the public were invited.
Atieno said that although names had been forwarded to the president for appointment, the process was not complete as they would have to vetted by the National Assembly.
Two weeks ago, the PSC announced it had finalized the process of interviewing 155 candidates and had shortlisted 66. They said those picked were rated based on merit, gender balance, regional representation and special interests.
On Monday, media reports suggested that President Uhuru Kenyatta settled on 23 appointees from the list of 66 shortlisted Principal Secretaries.