Politicians being probed over Bungoma killings

May 6, 2013 2:40 pm
Shares

,

At a security meeting chaired by Deputy President William Ruto on Monday, it emerged that 19 people would also be taken to court over the attacks in Bungoma County out of a total of 228 that had been questioned/DPPS
At a security meeting chaired by Deputy President William Ruto on Monday, it emerged that 19 people would also be taken to court over the attacks in Bungoma County out of a total of 228 that had been questioned/DPPS
NAIROBI, Kenya, May 6 – Police are pursuing a number of politicians suspected of masterminding the killings in Bungoma and Busia counties that left at least eight people dead and hundreds others injured in the past two weeks.

The gruesome saw one man forced to drink acid before his eyes were gorged out while others were bludgeoned to death.

At a security meeting chaired by Deputy President William Ruto on Monday, it emerged that 19 people would also be taken to court over the attacks in Bungoma County out of a total of 228 that had been questioned.

Last week, the Inspector General of Police David Kimaiyo had said that the attacks which appeared indiscriminate could be politically driven.

“The deputy president has chaired a security meeting to assess the security situation in the country. The meeting was told that 19 people out of 228 individuals interrogated will be taken to court over attacks in Bungoma,” indicated the brief statement sent to newsrooms.

The security meeting also revealed that a Special Crime Prevention Unit had been sent to the Coast to profile activities of the Mombasa Republican Council and take action.

Internal Security PS Mutea Iringo, Deputy Inspector General Grace Kaindi and other senior security officers were in attendance.

“The Garissa Operation is successful and aliens have been sent back to the refugee camps while others have returned to their country,” read the brief.

Two men were killed in the wee hours last Wednesday in Akabait village of Busia County after a gang moved from house to house stabbing people.

Western Police boss Alfred Ombaba told Capital FM News that 17 others were injured in the attack with four of them admitted to the Busia District Hospital in critical condition.

The attack occurred for several hours after midnight and by the time the police arrived to evacuate the injured to hospital, the gang had left the scene.

The killings occurred two days after a similar stabbing spree in Bungoma County that left 125 people injured in Kibabii, Kikwechi and Mukwa villages.

Similar attacks have occurred in the Kimalewa, Kuywa, Kapkateny and Makutano villages of Bungoma County in the past two weeks

The public lynched two members of the 40 member gang which carried out the Bungoma stabbings after they tried to attack a fourth village and the police arrested a man they suspect to have been part of the group.

Shares

Latest Articles

Most Viewed