, NAIROBI, Kenya, May 9 – A major transfer of police officers will be undertaken immediately for officers in Bungoma and Busia counties over recent attacks that have left at least 13 people dead.
Inspector General of Police David Kimaiyo however failed to name specific officers who will be affected by the transfer only insisting that it will involve those who had served long in the two counties.
He said the transfers will be done across board amongst OCPDs (Officer Commanding Police Division), middle level and junior officers.
The Inspector General has also banned motorcycle operators from working at night as police intensify the crackdown on the architects of the attacks.
Kimaiyo said: “This transfer has been necessitated by the fact that some of the officers have overstayed in the area and for the purposes of ensuring that officers serve effectively where they are posted. Once an officer has stayed for long in one area this could be an impediment to effectiveness of the officer.”
“All officers who have overstayed in the two counties and the province generally have been transferred. No boda boda operators will be allowed to operate during the night. For purposes of clarity, night time is from 6pm to 6am,” he emphasized.
So far close to 300 people have been arrested and charged for various offences over attacks that occurred in Bungoma, Teso and Busia with police giving a reward of Sh100,000 for members of the public providing information that will lead to arresting the perpetrators.
“A security operation has been ongoing and 294 suspects have been arrested; 211 charged for various offences, 12 charged for robbery with violence, nine bonded to keep peace and 4 were charged for being in the country illegally. We are still pursuing various leads as it continues to investigate the issue,” he added.
Police have beefed up presence in the two counties with contingents of the General Service Unit (GSU) and the Rapid Response Unity (RRU) of the Administration Police deployed to reinforce troops on the ground.
Kimaiyo who was accompanied by his two deputies Grace Kaindi and Samuel Arachi also revealed that three police vehicles had also been dispatched to the county to enhance patrols.
He met leaders from Bungoma County on Thursday morning including Senator Moses Wetangula and Kanduyi MP Wafula Wamunyinyi.
Police sources told Capital FM News that CORD had agreed to postpone a political rally planned for Sunday to give police ample time to conduct further investigations.
12 hours before the measures were taken, a businessman was on Wednesday night slashed to death in Bungoma by robbers who waylaid him at his gate, before taking off with an unknown amount of money.
Police are pursuing two suspects who were identified by the wife of the slain businessman who also sustained an injury in the attack.
Police have however delinked the attack from wave of the attacks in the county terming it a ‘normal’ robbery incident.
The IG has directed police officers to re-double their efforts and ensure that security of the citizens is prioritized and that they deal firmly with criminal elements.