NAIROBI, Kenya, May 10 – The government has now resolved to deploy an additional 150 GSU officers to Bungoma to maintain security in a bid to end rampant killings by mysterious gang.
The resolution was reached at a meeting on Friday chaired by Deputy President William Ruto who visited Bungoma to assess the volatile situation in the region.
The meeting also resolved to deploy five more vehicles for use by security forces to ensure they are up to the challenge they are facing in the region.
Ruto personally grilled members of the county security team over failure to end the violence that has left 13 people dead and over 100 others wounded.
Ruto says he was surprised to learn that no security meeting has been held in some of the affected areas.
The deputy president was accompanied in the visit by Internal Security Permanent Secretary Mutea Iringo, Inspector General of Police David Kimaiyo and five local MPs.
Police have effected transfers of officers who’ve overstayed in the area as part of measures to end insecurity in the region.
On Thursday, Kimaiyo announced transfers for all officers who had overstayed in Bungoma and Busia Counties to improve efficiency.
He said: “This transfer has been necessitated by the fact that some of the officers have overstayed in the area and for the purposes of ensuring that officers serve effectively where they are posted. Once an officer has stayed for long in one area this could be an impediment to effectiveness of the officer.”
The IGP said that he had deployed General Service Unit Officers and Rapid Response Unit of the Administration Police to reinforce the troops on the ground and that an additional three police vehicles had also been dispatched to the county to enhance patrols.
Kimaiyo said that public meetings planned to be held on Sunday in Busia and Bungoma had also been cancelled to allow law enforcement agencies to carry out the operations and finalize investigations.
“I want to thank the 20 members of public who have come forward to record statements and wish to urge more to come forward and do the same. This information is critical because it will definitely help us in bringing this matter to a satisfactory close,” Kimaiyo said on Thursday.
As at Thursday, 294 suspects had been arrested and charged with various offences including robbery with violence and for being in the country illegally.
Police are giving a reward of Sh100,000 for members of the public providing information that will lead to arresting the perpetrators.