, NAIROBI, Kenya, May 26 – A 15 year-old boy is among six people killed by Al Shabaab militants during two attacks in Liboi near the Somalia border on Saturday evening.
Inspector General of Police David Kimaiyo said the attackers struck two Administration Police camps at about 5.30pm killing the boy, two APs, A Red Cross official and two civilians.
The attacks at Abdi Sugow and Damajaly AP camps left another policeman and a chief wounded.
“Security has been beefed up in the two camps and the general area by deployment of additional General Service Unit and Rapid Deployment Unit officers,” Kimaiyo said.
He added that a plane had been sent to airlift the injured to hospitals in Nairobi.
“A team led by the two deputy Inspectors General has left to assess the situation for further intervention. A meeting has been scheduled with local leaders on Monday 27th May, 2013 at Harambee House,” he explained.
The Liboi attack came hours after militias crossed over from Ethiopia in an attack that left five people dead in Mandera on Saturday morning.
Kenya has been hit by a wave of grenade and gun attacks – often blamed on sympathisers of Somalia’s Shabaab Islamist fighters – since the army invaded Somalia in 2011 to attack the Al-Qaeda-linked insurgents.
Kenyan troops remain in southern Somalia but have since been integrated into an African Union force.
However, they are working closely with a local Somali militia commander, whose control over southern Somalia’s Jubaland area is fiercely opposed by rival Somali forces as well as the central government in Mogadishu.