NAIROBI, Kenya Mar 31 – Police said Sunday they had commenced an investigation on the deaths of two people who died during protests which broke out in Kisumu late Saturday.
Nyanza Provincial Police chief Joseph Ole Tito said seven other people were still admitted to hospital while four had been treated and discharged.
“There are two people who died and eleven wounded. An investigation is underway to establish circumstances that led to this,” Ole Tito. “We can not tell as of now what killed them but all that will come out after the investigation.”
But according to Kenya Red Cross Coordinator for Western Kenya Emmanuel Owako, 23 people, including a child were still admitted to the hospitals in Kisumu and Homa Bay with gun shot wounds.
“They are responding well to treatment, but unfortunately there are families displaced out of this chaos,” Owako told journalists at a press conference in Kisumu on Sunday.
Deaths of the two people and the injuries occurred during confrontations with police officers at Kondele area, where youths attempted to block roads to protest the Supreme Court verdict which handed President-elect Uhuru Kenyatta victory.
Kenyatta’s main competitor Prime Minister Raila Odinga accepted defeat and urged the president-elect to work towards uniting Kenyans.
Odinga had filed a case at the Supreme Court challenging Kenyatta’s election while accusing the Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission of manipulating the polls.
The highest court in the land however, upheld the electoral commission’s declaration, saying the election was free and fair and within the constitution.
Soon after the verdict was read out on Saturday, transport and business was paralysed for several hours in Kisumu, prompting deployments of more police officers.
Speaking to Capital FM News from Kisumu, Ole Tito said that calm had been restored in the lakeside city.
“Business is now returning to normal because we have enough police officers on the ground,” he said.
Inspector General of Police David Kimaiyo also told Capital FM News that security had been restored in all parts of the country.
He urged members of the public to be wary of criminal gangs which take advantage of the situation to loot property after causing disorder.
“We had a few problems here and there but the situation has been contained. There are people who took advantage to loot in the name of demonstrators but most of them were arrested,” Kimaiyo said.
The police chief said he had directed a thorough investigation on any deaths or injuries during the protests.
In Nairobi, Police chief Benson Kibui said similar protests were reported in Kibera, Mathare, Dandora and parts of Kawangware.
“We are closely working with the public in maintaining peace in the country. We are urging everyone to carry on with their business as usual and we guarantee them security,” Kibui said.