KIAMBU, Kenya, Feb 21 – An Orange Democratic Movement campaign team was attacked in Kiambu on Wednesday night.
A vehicle belonging to businessman Peter Kuguru had its windscreen smashed as party supporters traversed the county, to popularise a planned visit by CORD presidential contender Raila Odinga.
The attack occurred at Ndumberi trading centre.
Kuguru who led the campaign blitz said Odinga is expected to tour Kiambu, a forte of Deputy Prime Minister Uhuru Kenyatta, to popularise CORD’s policies.
He said a number of aspirants were hurt in the melee.
“After spending the whole day campaigning, we encountered hostility at Ndumberi where youths shouting Uhuru! Uhuru! Uhuru! stoned our convoy,” Kuguru told journalists at the Kiambu police station.
He said he believed the youths were hired to disrupt ODM’s campaigns.
An aspirant in Kiambu Margaret Ndethi is said to have been pelted with stones, according to Kuguru.
Kuguru said they had taken photos of the attackers and had forwarded them to the police for action.
They vowed to press on with plans to popularise CORD in Kiambu despite the incident.
Kiambu police chief Moses Lubisia said investigations are ongoing.
Earlier this week, 14 youths were charged in an Embu court with attempting to disrupt a political rally addressed by Odinga.
The youths who appeared before Embu Senior Principal Magistrate Paul Biwott were accused of throwing stones and heckling.
The 14 however, denied the charges and were freed on cash bails of Sh100, 000 or alternatively, post sureties of Sh200, 000.
The court has listed the case for hearing on February 21.