NAIROBI, Kenya Nov 2 – The government has released Sh3.7 billion to pay the second installment of a pay increase to police officers who staged a go-slow on Thursday, paralysing various security operations.
Internal Security Minister Katoo ole Metito announced in Mombasa that the money will be back-dated to October 1 when the officers were supposed to receive the pay rise.
“We are implementing the recommendations made by the Ransley report. The officers are entitled to the pay increase and that is the money that has been released today,” the minister told journalists at the Moi International Airport in Mombasa late on Thursday.
Police officers in Nairobi, Mombasa, Eldoret, Nakuru and some other parts of the country had staged a go-slow for the better part of Thursday – mainly jamming their internal communication system to demand the extra pay.
Metito however denied there was work boycott and maintained no security services were paralysed.
Multiple interviews with police officers earlier in the day had revealed that there was a go-slow mostly by junior police officers who forced their seniors to pass orders to them using mobile telephones.
Eldoret town was the most affected as Administration Police officers literally stayed away from work.
Metito said: “I do not know anything like that… there is no police officer who is on strike. I am in charge of the police and I do not know where you are getting these reports from.”
The Sh3.7 billion is the second tranche of the police pay increase out of Sh9 billion approved by the government.
“We are determined to ensure our (police) officers are paid well, they should not be worried at all,” he said.
Earlier, Police Spokesman Erick Kiraithe had also dismissed as ‘rumours’ reports that police officers were on a go-slow.
“We are not aware of any go-slow, everything is going on as usual.” he had told Capital FM News on telephone.